At Crookesbroom Primary we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get pupils off to a flying start with their phonics. RWI is a strategy of learning centred on letter sounds, blending and segmenting of words; and we use it to aid pupils in their reading.
Through RWI, the pupils learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can concentrate on their composition of what they write.
When using RWI to read, the pupils will:
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
- Learn to read words using Fred Talk.
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out.
- Show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.Within RWI lessons, pupils gain an understanding of red words (non-decodable words) linked to their focus text and practise them regularly within the RWI cycle. Each RWI group have a set of speedy reading words that are shared with parents. These words are practised regularly so pupils have success with their reading at school and at home.Staff know who the Early readers are in their class (those that did not pass phonics by Y2 and/or achieve ARE in KS1 reading and/or those who are not fluent readers). The pupils who are still not fluent readers receive a phonetically decodable book at the correct level, a book to develop their love of reading and an appropriate intervention.
- We have created our own reading intervention programme to support our early readers in developing their reading fluency in a fun and engaging way. This takes place every Monday-Thursday 11:40 – 12:10pm. We use the RWI assessments half-termly to ensure they are accessing texts at their level and then use a selection of exciting games linked to the text they are working on. We understand that phonics does not work for everyone, and therefore use a whole word reading approach for these pupils. Within this, we also share high quality texts that inspire and motivate the children to want to read themselves.
- All pupils are assessed half-termly in order to assess their progress. Appropriate interventions are then planned and delivered in order for the pupils to diminish the difference.
- In F1, the pupils are introduced to the daily rapid recall of RWI pictures, how to articulate the sounds, and make early links to the letter shapes to create a firm foundation of phonic knowledge to enable the pupils to become successful readers and writers. In addition, opportunities for listening games and oral blending are regularly utilised.
Below is a link to a video clip, which shows the Read Write Inc. programme in action and explains everything, especially ‘Fred talk’!
Below, is further information on how you can support at home and most importantly a useful guide on how to pronounce each sound!
- Read Write Inc Guidance for Parents(1.46 MB)