Design and Technology at Crookesbroom Primary Academy engages, inspires and challenges pupils. It equips them with the knowledge and skills to design, make, improve and evaluate.
We encourage pupils to use their creativity and imagination, to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts. We also aim to make relevant links to designs and designers wherever possible within the curriculum objectives. Throughout our projects, we aim to make links with other subjects such as: mathematics, science, computing and art. This gives the learning purpose.
Through a variety of creative and practical activities, we teach the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an interactive process of designing and making. Throughout the year, pupils will have the opportunity to use all or some of these design elements:
- Design – with the purpose in mind, pupils will use research and other designers to explore and develop their own ideas
- Make and Improve – use a wider range of tools and equipment with accuracy and use a wider range of materials and components according to their qualities. Time will be allocated to reflect on and improve their designs
- Evaluate – evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work
Through practical expression using a wide range of medium, pupils in EYFS are encouraged to design, make, evaluate and share their ideas. This could be individually, in a focus group, or as a class project. By the end of EYFS, pupils should feel confident in constructing with a purpose, being able to select appropriate resources and mediums to help develop their ideas. Opportunities will be provided to use and master simple tools and techniques to join and assemble materials.
In Key Stage 1, pupils will build on their skills from EYFS to make products, which are functional and appealing for themselves. Pupils will have the opportunity to work on a project over a series of lessons providing the opportunity to explore, make, improve and evaluate. Pupils will perform practical tasks using a range of tools and equipment and select from a range of materials and components.
In Key Stage 2, pupils will build on their skills from Key Stage 1 to produce designs from a range of relevant contexts. Pupils will be encouraged to produce products that are fit for purpose aimed at particular individuals or groups. They will select materials and components according to their functional properties and will evaluate and make changes to these throughout the process.
It is our intent to provide as many real-life experiences for our pupils. Therefore, we have enrolled in a yearly project with Royal Opera House, which will allow the pupils to design, make, improve and evaluate for a real purpose.
- Nursery Sequence of Learning(337 KB)
- Reception Sequence of Learning(340 KB)
- Y1 Overview(353 KB)
- Y2 Overview(354 KB)
- Y3 Overview(363 KB)
- Y4 Overview(362 KB)
- Y5 Overview(376 KB)
- Y6 Overview(380 KB)
- Y1_Spring 1_Sequence of Learning(543 KB)
- Y2_Spring 1_Sequence of Learning(174 KB)
- Y3_Spring 1_Sequence of Learning(180 KB)
- Y4_Spring 1_Sequence of Learning(544 KB)
- Y5_Spring 1_Sequence of Learning(546 KB)
- Y6_Spring 1_Sequence of Learning(535 KB)